- Guerin Woods COVID-19 Statistics
Total # of Elder Cases
New Elder Cases in Last 24 Hrs
Elder Deaths in Last 24 Hrs
Instances of 3 or More Elders/Staff w/ New Onset of Respiratory Symptoms w/in 72 hours of Each Other
*COVID-19 positive test dates: 8/5/20 (1); 10/14/20 (1); 10/21/20 (1); 10/23/20 (2); 10/29/20 (1); 11/16/20 (1; new admission from another facility); 11/19/20 (1); 12/11/20 (3); 12/15/20 (2); 12/18/20 (1); 12/20/20 (1).
- Examples of Facility Infection Mitigation/Prevention/Planning Measures
Decontamination of all personal items delivered by elder families and friends
Staff Competency Reinforcement/Training: Infection Control; COVID-19; Proper PPE Use; Handwashing; Social Distancing, etc.
Daily staff reminders to self-monitor for fever and symptoms of COVID-19 and to stay home if unwell
Cohorting of staff (among Villas)
Exclusion of non-essential staff
Staff use of masks and goggles/face shields: 100% of the time in Villas
Increased cleaning frequency & use of COVID-19/EPA approved sanitizing solutions for equipment, frequently touched surfaces and common areas
Placement of alcohol-based hand sanitizer throughout the Villas and in elders' rooms
Placement of tissues and trash cans in elder's rooms and in common areas for respiratory hygiene, cough etiquette, and source control
Elder social distancing and use of masks (for those able) when in common areas
Transition to telephonic/video meetings whenever possible, e.g., Care Plan Meetings
Use of telehealth when appropriate
Creation and use of signage to remind elders and staff re PPE usage, cough etiquette, social distancing, handwashing
Creation of signage in anticipation of positive COVID-19 cases re proper use of PPE, precautions, etc.
Adoption of pharmacy policies & practices that ensure availability of all necessary medications
Pre-shift health assessment/screening of every staff member, including all CDC-defined COVID-19 symptoms
Assessment of elders for CDC-defined COVID-19 symptoms every shift
Cancellation of all non-essential medical appointments, e.g., routine eye exams
Acquisition of additional/excess supplies, e.g., ABHS, soap, paper towels, sanitizing solutions, PPE, oxygen concentrators
Acquisition of COVID-19 testing equipment/kits and frequent testing of employees and elders per CDC guidelines
Conversion of separate on-site facility to staff sleeping quarters, including procurement of beds, linens, etc.
Conversion of separate on-site facility to accommodate COVID-19 positive elders, including but not limited to new flooring, rental of beds, use of donated storage and office furniture, and waiver application
Conversion of separate on-site facility to accommodate COVID-19 supplies, including preparation of individual kits for ease of use
Staging of COVID-19 materials in anticipation of providing immediate response
On-site CNA course, including but not limited to staff training, licensure, procurement of necessary course materials, etc., in anticipation of potential staffing shortages
Daily meetings among executive and senior clinical staff re newest state and federal COVID-19 regulations & guidance (and changes thereto), associated changes to policies/procedures, education/training, facility changes, etc.
Extensive contingency planning, including adoption of new policies & procedures (and frequent amendment of same as guidelines from federal and state public health authorities change)
Frequent coordination with local and state public health and emergency response authorities
Exclusion of COVID-19 positive and COVID-19 exposed employees in compliance with CDC guidelines
Isolation of elders who may have had an exposure per IDH and CDC guidelines
Guerin Woods Contacts
Steve Brian (Administrator)
Susan Gernert (President & CEO)
Guerin Woods Current Visitation Policy.
a) Indoor Visitation – Indoor Visitation is currently suspended.
b) Outdoor Visitation - Although the weather has turned cold, if we happen to have a warm day here and there, please know that we are reinstating Outdoor Visitation. The procedures for Outdoor Visitation remains the same. Please note that Outdoor Visitation is only available to those elders whose Villas are "Green." Because the status of a Villa (i.e., Green or Yellow) changes quickly, please call before you travel to Guerin Woods. Further details regarding Outdoor Visitation are set out below.
i. Weather: Please do not plan on Outdoor Visitation unless the weather is clear and it is at least 55°F.
Monday: 10 – 11 am; 1 – 4 pm
Tuesday: 6 – 7 pm
Wednesday: 10 – 11 am; 1 – 4 pm
Thursday: 10 – 11 am; 1 – 4 pm
Friday: 6 – 7 pm
Saturday: 2 – 3 pm
Sunday: 2 – 3 pm
iii. Scheduling Method: https://guerinwoods.simplybook.me/v2/. Please keep in mind Outdoor Visits must be scheduled 48 hours in advance.
iv. Location: Villa garden.
v. Length: 15 minutes.
vi. Frequency: Maximum, 3 per week.
vii. Procedure: Check-in at the Administration Building 10-15 minutes in advance of a scheduled Outdoor Visit. Directions on the front door will direct Outdoor Visitors to the appropriate location for purposes of having their temperature taken and completion of a health survey and screening form. (Depending upon the availability of our National Guard soldiers, Outdoor Visitors will be directed to either the lower level of Sister Barbara's house or the Villa.)
viii. Additional Outdoor Visitation Requirements: (i) Guerin Woods prefers that all visitors be 12 years of age or older; (ii) Outdoor Visitors must wear a face mask the entire time they are on Guerin Woods's campus (not just during the visitation); (iii) Outdoor Visitors must maintain social distancing the entire time they are on Guerin Woods's campus; (iv) Outdoor Visitors must use alcohol-based hand rub immediately before and after their Outdoor Visit.
c) Essential Family Caregiver (EFC) Visitation - We are also reinstating Essential Family Caregiver (EFC) visitation, subject to Guerin Woods's case-by-case approval and with many Indiana Department of Health restrictions. The purpose of EFC visitation is to supplement Guerin Woods's ongoing care and physical and emotional support of our elders. Unfortunately, only one person per elder may be designated as an EFC and EFC visitation is only possible in Green Villas (with a limited exception).
i. Testing: EFCs must be tested on the same frequency as Guerin Woods's employees. We are currently testing all employees and contractors twice weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays. Because of the delay associated with community testing results, EFCs will need to be tested at Guerin Woods. We can generate results in as little as 20 minutes, but this is not typical nor practical for EFCs because of the large number of people being tested and the requisite processing times.
As you can imagine, precious resources are being expended to purchase test kits and to pay our staff to perform testing, so please do not sign up for EFC Visitation unless you anticipate being able to comply with all EFC restrictions and provide regular and meaningful support to your elder. After we determine the number of people interested in being EFCs, we will communicate with each EFC individually to set up a testing schedule. As with our own employees, it is likely EFCs will need to travel to Guerin Woods for testing on days when they are not scheduled to visit.
ii. Off Campus Requirements: Also of particular note are the "off-campus" requirements that EFCs must follow. EFCs must agree to limit their contacts, consistently and diligently wear a mask, and clean their hands frequently per CDC guidelines, even when not on the Guerin Woods campus.
iii. Next steps: For those of you who are POA for your elder, if you wish to designate someone as an EFC, please email me. Before you do so, however, please see the EFC Visitation Details below and confirm with your designee their ability and willingness to comply with all of the EFC requirements. The subject line of your email to me should read: "EFC Designation." Include in the body of your email relevant contact information, and we will follow up with the EFC as soon as possible.
iv. Additional EFC Requirements:
1) Whether and whom to designate as an EFC is at the sole discretion of the Villas Administrator and will only be implemented upon written agreement by the elder (or POA), Administrator, and EFC;
2) Only one family, friend, or volunteer may be designated as an elder's EFC;
3) The EFC must be 18 or older;
4) EFC visitation must be scheduled in advance;
5) The EFC must be available for EFC visitation no fewer than two days per week;
6) EFC visitation will be limited to certain days and hours (TBD), and may be for no more than two hours per day;
7) The EFC must comply strictly with Guerin Woods's infection control protocols;
8) The EFC must wear a mask at all times when in public, whether on the Guerin Woods campus or otherwise;
9) The EFC visit is limited strictly to the elder's room, and the door must remain closed;
10) The EFC must perform frequent hand hygiene, both on and off the Guerin Woods campus;
11) The EFC must sanitize the elder's room before departing the Villa;
12) The EFC must limit interaction with Villa staff, maintaining physical social distancing at all times;
13) The EFC must have no interactions and maintain physical social distancing with other Villa elders;
14) The EFC may not enter the Villa unless specifically cleared to do so after COVID-19 testing and completion of a daily health screen and a sign-in procedure;
15) The EFC must agree to monitor their own symptoms on an ongoing basis, and to immediately notify the Administrator of any signs or symptoms of COVID-19;
16) The EFC must agree to refrain from even coming onto Guerin Woods property if he or she is experiencing signs or symptoms of COVID-19 and to follow the directives of the Administrator regarding testing, the resumption of EFC visitation, etc.;
17) The EFC must agree to severely limit their contacts, that is potential exposure to infection, outside the Villas;
18) The EFC must agree to be subject to the same COVID-19 testing as may be required of Villas staff;
19) The EFC must agree to comply with any restriction placed on or revocation of their EFC-designation, which is at the sole discretion of the Villas Administrator.
d) Compassionate Care Visitation - Compassionate Care Indoor Visitation is limited primarily to end-of-life situations. Please know that we will assess any requests for such visits on a case-by-case basis. For those who are approved, we will provide additional instructions regarding scheduling, duration, frequency, location, and any other requirements, such as COVID-19 testing.
e) Facilitated Phone Calls & Video Chats - Please call your elder's Villa on the day you wish to have your call or video chat to confirm the availability of staff. Please know that our staff remain very busy throughout the day, and they may ask that you be flexible regarding the time and length of your call or video chat. Individual CNAs cannot commit to staff availability other than their own because they do not know what the demands may or may not be on another shift or when they are not working.
f) Closed Window Visits - Please continue your closed window visits! Risk-free. Mask-free. ...and no social distancing required!
g) "Hug Tent" Visits – We are constructing our hug tents now and will begin scheduling visits as soon as they are complete. Stay tuned.
- Testing & Transfers: Guerin Woods is following the guidance and directives of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), and Floyd County Health Department regarding COVID-19 testing. If an elder were to test positive for COVID-19 and Guerin Woods was unable to provide the necessary care, the elder would be transferred to a hospital or other appropriate facility.
- General Information: For more information about COVID-19, please refer to: https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2400.htm; https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. You can also address general questions about COVID-19 to the ISDH COVID-19 Call Center, available 24/7, at 877-826-0011.
- Indiana Long-Term Care Ombudsman: The Ombudsman is NOT a representative of the facility, ISDH, or any other organization. However, we do want to provide accurate information to ensure families are comfortable that their loved ones are as safe as possible and are able to make informed decisions.
Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman
402 West Washington Street, Room W451
Post Office Box 7083, MS 27
Indianapolis, Indiana 46207-7083
800-622-4484 or 317-232-7134
President & CEO
Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries, Inc.
The Meadows of Guerin, Inc.
8037 Unruh Drive
Georgetown, Indiana 47122